(The school library catalog can only be accessed from a computer connected to the district’s server.)
Many classes require students to do “research” or, in other words, to find information about something. One of the quickest, easiest and most reliable ways to do this is to find articles from “periodicals.” “Periodicals” is the term used by schools and libraries when referring to magazines, journals, and newspapers. A popular way to find articles is to search for them by using “online databases.” These “online databases” are collections of articles that can be accessed through the library’s web page.
Username and password information for the following accounts are available through your teacher or the library staff. They can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection.
Three subscription databases we pay for:
Username: hilltophs Password: lancers
Our ProQuest subscription includes access to:
eLibrary: more than 2,500 full-text magazines, newspapers, books,and transcripts-plus thousands of maps, pictures, educator-approved websites from Homework Central and top-quality multimedia (audio/video) files.
CultureGrams: Concise, reliable, and up-to-date country reports. CultureGrams helps researchers discover the world with concise cultural and statistical snapshots of every country recognized by the United Nations.
SIRS Knowledge Source:
SIRS Issues Researcher: topic pro/con coverage of current and enduring issues
SIRS Government Reporter: resources by and about the government
SIRS Renaissance: current perspectives on the arts and humanities
- SIRS WebSelect: a collection of more than 20,000 reliable and credible websites covering all SIRS Knowledge Source topics
- History Study Center:
provides a vast collection of digitised primary and secondary sources for the study of history, covers global history from ancient times to the present day.
- contents include reference books, essays, journal articles, historical newspaper and magazine articles, maps, rare books, government documents, transcripts of historical speeches, images and video clips.
- Study Units offer editorially selected material on over 500 historical topics.
- provides over 40,000 documents and articles, with over 50 reference works, 3,000 images and links to 2,000 Web sites.
- ProQuest Online: Six databases can be searched individually or in combination. Hundreds of journals are included in the databases. The six databases are:
- ProQuest Biology Journals, ProQuest Computing, ProQuest Psychology Journals, ProQuest Research Library, ProQuest Science Journals, and ProQuest Social Science Journals
- ProQuest Learning Literature: A comprehensive resource including over 3,000 author biographies, 40 searchable full-text literature journals, full-text literary works, and other key criticism and reference sources.
Username: sweet Password: water
World Book Online is a suite of online research tools that includes:
- 40,000 encyclopedia articles
- primary source collections
- nearly 700 videos and original animations and 17,000+ photos and illustrations
- current periodicals and related Web sites
- TIMELINES to explore the greatest events in history and culture, the ability to customize existing TIMELINES, and the ability to create your own
- BIOGRAPHY CENTER with more than 10,000 biographies
- Built in dictionary and atlases
- Translation tool with 80+ languages
- World Book Explains videos
- How to Do Research
- Citation Builder
- Visual Dictionary – in English, Spanish and French
- Translates articles into 31 languages or have the articles read aloud in English
- Life Skills 101 – practical life skills
Username: suhsd Password: ebsco
The following databases are available within EBSCO: